Music Education Fund
The Board has recently realized something truly wonderful: HCA has awarded over $25,000.00 in scholarships and grants since the Fund began in 2007! This $25,000.00 was collected from you in small or large donations over the years and we want you to know how much we appreciate your generosity. We thought you might want to hear about the progress and success of some of our awardees.
In addition to supporting individual music students, the Board has felt it imperative to offer support for music in local schools, so in the past few years we have awarded significant grants to MUSICA’s BRIDGE program in the San Jacinto Unified School District. This non-profit program provides free string instrument training to elementary age students through four levels of instruction. We have been gratified to see BRIDGE succeed and expand, providing unique musical opportunities to children in our valley.
And here’s an update on some of our individual awardees:
- 2009 – Elyssa Lata, soprano: After attending Longy School of Music in Boston on a full scholarship, she is now on the voice faculty of Ivy Music Academy in Norfolk, MA.
- 2011 – Jasmin White, soprano: From USC, she relocated to the Portland, OR area and is one of the Metropolitan Opera District Audition winners for 2018. She will travel to New York in February for the national level of auditions.
- 2013 – Erec von Seggern, flute: In 2018, he was awarded a B.Mus. cum laude and a B.A. in French, also cum laude, from Lawrence University, Wisconsin. He has been accepted into the US Army as a musician.
- 2014 – Ramakrishnan Kumaran, flute: Will graduate with a B. Mus. this year from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN.
- 2016 – Anahi del Rio, percussion: Flourishing in her third year at Cal State University, Northridge, earlier this month she visited her Hemet alma mater, Tahquitz HS, where she did a percussion clinic for the students there.
Our Music Education Fund is ever in need of replenishment and we hope you will consider donating to it this year. For more info, please contact Tom Garnella, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following are photos of the BRIDGE ECHO Orchestra, conducted by Teresa di Pietro.